Thursday, September 1, 2011

Real Hip-Hop

I saw DJ Shadow perform last Sunday and was blown away by the inventive audio/visual experience. My expectations were exceeded, and then some. It is so inspiring to see an artist continue to push the envelope again and again. Here is a sample of his recent "Shadowsphere" tour:



One of my all time favorite Shadow tracks is "Midnight In A Perfect World". I think it is the ultimate atmospheric/ambient hip-hop song:



Here is a list of the samples. It amazes me how well the different records work together. DJ Shadow makes your DJ look like an amateur.

The Human Abstract by David Axelrod (1969)
California Soul by Marlena Shaw (1969)
Sower of Seeds by Baraka (1973)
The Madness Subsides by Pekka Pohjola (1975)
Biography by Meredith Monk (1981)
Dolmen Music (Part 1) by Meredith Monk (1981)
Dolmen Music (Part 2) by Meredith Monk (1981)
Releasing Hypnotical Gases by Organized Konfusion (1991)
Outta State by Akinyele (1993)